Tuesday 18 January 2011

Tragedy

I noticed a post from one of my facebook friends last night. She said she needed help and that tragedy had struck. I know people often exaggerate for effect on their facebook status (ahem!) but in this case I'm sorry to say there was no exaggeration.

The lady in question runs a cat rescue from her home in the US and a few nights ago her house burned down. Apart from the obvious horror of the situation, this lady has lost up to 15 of her rescue cats and her little dog. I cannot imagine the devastation she must be feeling and I can't stop thinking about her.

Her facebook friends have rallied round and have started a collection for her. Last time I looked it had raised $345. Other people have offered practical advice and are trying to find her somewhere to stay (the Red Cross provided a hotel for 2 nights). She was left with the clothes on her back - unfortunately it appears she wasn't even fully dressed when the fire broke out but a kind neighbour gave her a coat.
 
I feel 2011 hasn't got off to the very best of starts. This lady is only one of many people who have lost their homes, their belongings and their pets (I'm thinking here of the people in Australia, Brazil, the Philippines and other places where natural disaster has occurred over the last few weeks). I only hope that the year improves....let's face it for some people it couldn't really get any worse.

These situations make me feel so helpless. I can't do anything to help this lady apart from make other people aware of her situation and hope that someone can help her; I can't do anything to help flood victims except hope that the water goes soon so that they can start to try and rebuild their lives.
 
Sorry for the gloomy post - I shall aim for a more cheerful subject next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please feel free to leave a comment and thanks for dropping by!